Thursday 15 September 2011

Nothing But A Dream; Chapter 3: The New Neighbour

Rocky's POV (Point of View)
As we drove down our street we saw a huge moving truck parked across from our house. "Whoa," Colt and I said together.
Tum Tum was to busy eating a string of licorice.
A girl was talking to a man, probably her father.
She looked in our direction as we pulled into our driveway. Mom and Dad were already making their way over to the new neighbours.
Grandpa waved quickly to his daughter and his son-in-law before dropping our bags and ourselves off.
I got out and walked over to our parents with my brothers.
"Jeffrey. Samuel. Michael." My mom smiled when she spotted us. She was talking to a woman before she turned to see us. Dad was talking to the man the girl was speaking with moments before.
"It's Colt, Rocky, and Tum Tum. Remember?" Tum Tum corrected Mom.
"Of course Michael, I mean Tum Tum," Mom laughed.
All three of us hugged our parents.
The man coughed slightly, indicating he was still there. "Henry," the woman said.
"Oh! Sorry," Mom said and turned to the woman and man. "These are my sons. Samuel," she said gesturing to me. "Jeffrey," she said and put her hand on Colt's shoulder. "And Michael," Mom said and Tum Tum gave the two strangers a shy smile.
"Ayla!" The man called and the girl came over. Her brown eyes looked at me and my brothers curiously.
"This is Ayla," the woman said.
"Hi," I smiled.
"Hi," she said.
As the parents went to greet each other, Colt, Tum Tum, and I were left with Ayla.
"I'm Rocky," I greeted her.
"I thought you were Samuel," She said her eyebrows slightly pressed together, showing her bewilderment.
"Oh, those our are family names," Colt said.
"We are ninjas!" Tum Tum added.
"What are your ninja names?" Ayla asked, she seemed interested.
"Well, he's Rocky 'cause he's solid. I'm Colt 'cause I'm fast and he's Tum Tum 'cause... well, he'll eat just about anything," Colt said.
"Rocky. Colt. Tum Tum." Ayla said and pointed to one of us, remembering our names.
"We prefer to be called our ninja names than our family names," I added and she shot me a smile.
After a brief moment of silence Colt asked, "Are you new around here?"
The girl giggled and pointed in the direction of the house. The large moving truck still in the driveway, unloading furniture and other household items.
"Right," Colt said and looked down, clearly embaressed.
"How old are you?" I asked suddenly.
"Fifteen," She said. Cool! I thought. She's around my age!"I'm sixteen," I said and was interupted by Colt.
"I'm fifteen!" He said.
"I'm twelve," Tum Tum replied, not wanting to be out-done.
I rolled my eyes. Tum Tum was such a ham sometimes.
"D-are you going to go to our school?" I asked, letting my original question drop.
"Probably," Ayla tried her best not to laugh but all three of us could see it was hard to contain.
"Right..."I said and looked as oddly embaressed as Colt had been earlier.
"Ayla?" A woman, I guessed was Ayla's mom, called.
"Coming!" Ayla said and gave us a smile. "I'm sorry I have to help unpack. I'll see you later!" She said as she waved good-bye and ran over to help her parents and the movers unpack.
"She seems... cool," Colt asked and looked at me from the corner of his eye.
"Yeah.." I said and picked up my duffle bag. I walked back across the road towards our house. Colt and Tum Tum were whispering quietly to each other and Mom and Dad were trailing behind them.
I entered the house, walked up the stairs, and into the room my brother's and I shared. I threw my bag on my bed and sat down as Colt and Tum Tum entered the room. Colt threw his bag on his bed, the top bunk, as Tum Tum flopped down on his, the bottom bunk. I had a single bed to myself.
"What now?" Colt asked, it was obvious he was bored.
Tum Tum let out a long, exasperated sigh. "I don't know."
"We could go to the pizza parlor," I suggested.
"I want to go later," Colt said and turned around to take a brief nap. Tum Tum and I quickly agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment